Fairfax DUI Defense Attorneys
If you have been accused of a DUI, the attorney you choose to represent you can be pivotal in the strength of your defense – and the outcome of your case.
At MacDowell Law Group, P.C., our Fairfax lawyers take an aggressive approach to DUI defense, and we take great pride in going the extra mile for our clients.
We handle all types of drunk driving cases, including (but not necessarily limited to) cases involving:
- First-time DUIs & DWIs
- Second, third and subsequent DUIs & DWIs
- Federal court DUIs & DWIs
- DUIs involving breath or blood test refusals (i.e., chemical test refusals)
- DUIs involving elevated BACs and enhanced penalties
- Underage DUIs & DWIs
Virginia DUI Arrests, Cases & Penalties: Important Information for the Accused
We understand how important it is to get answers about your rights and case after a DUI arrest (or after DUI charges have been filed). To help you get the information you need, the following presents some helpful answers to frequently asked questions about Virginia DUI arrests, charges, cases and penalties. Please don’t hesitate to contact us when you are ready for more answers related to your situation and case. Our lawyers are ready to talk to you and help you start figuring out your best DUI defense options.
Will I lose My License after a DUI Arrest?
Yes, an administrative license suspension will go into effect following a DUI arrest in Virginia. The term of this suspension will depend on whether you have any prior DUI convictions and whether you refused blood alcohol content (BAC) testing at the time of the DUI stop. The following table outlines the various DUI license suspensions that can be imposed following an arrest and before the case is resolved.
|Offense||Submitted to BAC Testing||Refused BAC Testing|
|1st DUI||7 days||1 year|
|2nd DUI||60 days or until trial
(whichever comes first)
|3rd DUI||Until the trial date||3 years|
If you are convicted of the DUI charges, the court can sentence you to an additional license suspension.
How Many Points Is a DUI?
A DUI conviction in Virginia will add 6 points to your driving record. These points will remain on your record for 11 years. Six points will also be added to motorists’ driving records in Virginia for the following offenses:
- BAC test refusals
- DUI involving drug impairment
- DUI involving injuries or manslaughter
- Driving on a suspended license following a DUI conviction.1
Is DUI a Felony or Misdemeanor?
According to Virginia law, when DUIs don’t involve any aggravating factors, first- and second-time DUI charges will typically be misdemeanors. A third DUI within 10 years of a prior will generally be a felony.2
Can a DUI Attorney Help Reduce My Charges?
Depending on the circumstances of your DUI, a lawyer may be able to help you get the charges reduced to a “wet reckless,” which carries lesser penalties than a DUI. This tends to be more likely with first-time DUI charges/cases that:
- Do not involve any aggravating factors
- Involve BAC levels just under or at 0.08 (i.e., the legal limit in Virginia).
Here, it’s essential to point out that:
- A wet reckless conviction will count as a prior DUI if you are ever arrested for or charged with a subsequent DUI.
- A lawyer can review the details of your case and tell you whether reduced charges are a possibility.
Do I Need a DUI Lawyer?
Yes – and not just any DUI lawyer. You need a lawyer with extensive experience defending people against DUI charges. You need a DUI attorney at MacDowell Law Group, P.C. While our lawyers always tailor their defense services to the specific circumstances of the accused (and his or her case), just some of the ways we can help you include by:
- Obtaining toxicology reports and data from the new Breathalyzer unit (the EC/IR II)
- Examining potential constitutional challenges to evidence in DUI cases
- Conducting comprehensive discovery
- Meticulously preparing for trial, leaving no stone unturned in our effort to craft you the strongest possible defense case.
And that’s not all. We go above and beyond by also offering:
- Personal service & caring support – We will take the time to listen to you, understand your needs and help you determine the best options for protecting your interests.
- Honest answers & clear advice – We will explain the law in simple and uncomplicated terms. We will also inform you of your rights and what you need to do to protect them at every phase of your DUI case.
- The highest quality defense representation at reasonable, competitive rates – We will work diligently to provide the superior defense representation necessary to help you achieve the best possible outcome.
Make Sure You Have the Best DUI Defense: Contact a Fairfax DUI Lawyer at MacDowell Law Group, P.C.
If you have been accused of any type of DUI, call an experienced Fairfax DUI lawyer at the MacDowell Law Group, P.C. at (703) 277-2811 to get your defense started as soon as possible. You can also email us via the contact form on this page. Empowered with the insight and experience of a former prosecutor, our lawyers understand how prosecutors think and how to challenge their allegations at every phase of a DUI case. Our decades of experience fighting DUI charges have earned us a reputation for being shrewd negotiators and sophisticated litigators who are skilled at bringing DUI cases to the best possible outcomes. From offices based in Fairfax, our lawyers provide exceptional defense representation to people throughout Fairfax County and the state of Virginia.
1: More information regarding points imposed for DUIs in Virginia, from the Virginia DMV
2: Additional information about Virginia DUI penalties, from the Virginia DMV
Fill out the following form and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
MacDowell Law Group
Our goal is to settle cases whenever possible, but we are always well prepared to go to court when it is in the best interests of our clients. We thoroughly investigate each client’s case and present evidence in a focused, detailed manner. We have a record of favorable results for our clients, with many high dollar settlements and jury awards.Learn More